March 2, 2013

Bright lights, Nuit Blanche

I had a great writing morning today.  I brought my laptop into bed with me and sat propped up in bed and wrote for two hours.  Then I had some food and came back and kept going for another two and a half, with minimal interruptions. (My husband, bless him, made breakfast and even let me out of the cleanup.  And the breakfast included bacon.) 

Part of my amazing productivity (by my standards, since I'm a rather slow writer) is probably due to the fact that right now I'm writing something fun.  I don't want to jinx it by talking about it too much, but it's a YA project I've had planned forever, right down to most of the nitty-gritty details, and whenever I work on it now it just seems to flow out into the keyboard.  I'm pretty much rolling with what I wrote the other day about easy reads and following it through with some easy writes.  Right now, anyway, it's working, and that's enough.

Today is a good day to have a good writing day because tonight I am giving a reading at Nuit Blanche as part of this event in conjunction with Maisonneuve Magazine, and it's always nice to feel confirmed in one's writerly sense of identity before doing things like this.  Although it might be a bad thing, too, since good writing days can also result in me feeling extremely socially challenged -- like I've stepped out of a different gravity and everything I say goes unheard or misunderstood and I feel like there's a piece of glass between me and everyone else who is actually normal and doesn't spend half of their time making make-up people walk and talk.  Oh well. I guess I'll find out!

Nuit Blanche is also known as Montréal en Lumière, which is probably partially why this Cult Montreal listing calls us "some of the local literary scene's brightest lights," but it is nonetheless a thrilling designation.  I'm really looking forward to hearing the other readers and hoping my cold doesn't wipe me out too early tonight.    

2 comments:

pat@siteandinsight.com said...

Love the idea of writing in bed. Almost as good as reading in bed. Or other things done in beds.

saleema said...

It requires a lot of pillows and cushions, but it certainly lends itself to a quick nap break!

...writing, I mean!